What is the dramatic question?
- a straightforward yes/no question that can be answered by the end of the story
(i.e. Will Jeffrey succeed? Will the Allison get the guy? Who killed Stanley?)
- organizes story
- should be answered realistically
- “answer” at the end of the story should match question
- often paired with conflict
- helps define your protagonist
Need help figuring your DQ out?
Answer the following questions...
What, if anything, does my character want?
What action does he or she take to get what he or she desires?
What, if anything, keeps my character from getting what he or she wants?
Who succeeds? Who fails?